Friday, August 28, 2009

Update

I'm not very good with this journalling lark, I've realised. I have LJ, a blogspot diary, a mailing list of friends and family and a Facebook account, and I seem congenitally unable to keep it all updated! Perhaps bullet points is the way to go...


1. Returned from a good but very busy week back in Durban. Managed to get Nicky's 18 month booster shots done. Rather relieved at this as he is, in fact, 25 months old and I had no idea he hadn't been boosted months ago. Thank heavens for the good records kept by his primary care nurse.

2. Managed to see my gynae. 'Nuff said. Except that he was very vocal on how Zuma's NHS plans are going to completely finish any semblance of decent healthcare in this country, which was scary. He reckons we have five to eight years before the collapse is final, however, which is a Good Thing, as we just bought a house and all and all. I am still not thrilled by the prospect of returning to the UK (our other home country) in the midst of a recession. Not to mention that they appear to have decided to introduce Big Brother style government on a scale which no doubt has Orwell rotating in his grave. What is up with that anyway??

3. Saw Kerryn, which was lovely, and ate Sprigs baked cheesecake on a chocolate brownie base, which was damn near orgasmic.

4. Got flu. Lovely Dr Pretorius couldn't be sure it it was swine flu or not, but recommended I not play rugby while suffering. I agreed to hold off on any urge to pick up a ball and run with it. Not hard, as I've never knowingly exercised voluntarily in my life. Left doctors surgery with a warm feeling - it's nice to be told your practice misses you :)

5. Worried about James and Jonathan getting tonsilitis. Due to family issues with strep, we now have to watch Jon like a hawk for possible signs of rheumatic fever recurrence. Praying no such signs are spotted in the next week or so, as we should then be out of the woods.

6. Shopped for clothes!! Bought lots and lots of lovely new things, and decided that, regardless of the fact that am now on a diet, needed to look good while dieting, so bought in the size most comfortable. After all, what else are belts for?

7. Indulged in huge bunches of jasmine everywhere. I love love love jasmine season.

8. Drove home (as a passenger) for 11.5 hours through Kwazulu-Natal, the old Transkei and the Eastern Cape, with two small boys in the back. Who were remarkably well behaved. And, we found, if you break the journey into two hour stages, you find the "are we in XXX yet?" questions far easier to deal with, as the name changes regularly.

9. Arrived back in Grahamstown and was gratified to find that we all felt strongly as though we were Home. After only five months of living here, we are really all settled and happy. It's a good feeling :D

10. Had three days of battering out some freelance assignments while flailing my arms wildly at assorted small boys yelling fruitlessly "I'm WORKING! I'll get you a hot chocolate/play Lego/put Mary Poppins on/find you the sticky tape LATER!"

11. Had eye surgery, just yesterday. Pterygium in right eye excised. leading to many family jokes about pterodactyls in my eye, and much excitement for the small boys have a "pirate!" for a mommy! I've already taken the patch off, however, and am alternating between opening and closing my eye while wearing my Good Sunglasses.

Whew... pretty much updated! And as soon as I get a moment I need to reboot this blog (after all, I don't think we're in Assagay anymore, Toto) and start posting more regularly. As soon as my eye is back to normal - see you then :)

1 comment:

Lori ann said...

Ah Jeannie, great to see an update and most all sounds well! your eye should be healed in no time and i'll cross fingers that the flu stays away! I like your attitude re clothes buying, i say that's what elastic waists are for!
Kids in the car playing games and asking ?'s bring's me back.
Glad your enjoying your new home!
lori