Sunday, September 6, 2009

Blue Moon Sunday

I am feeling a trifle hard done by today. It's only 0600! And I have no right to feel this way; the person who does is finally getting some sleep in a real bed after a night spent hopping between the sofa and the single bed in the boys room.

Yep, the boys didn't sleep. Nicky was the main culprit. He went down at around 1930 but woke up crying at 2000, asking for us and refusing to go back in his room, let alone his toddler bed. So he spent the next three hours sitting with Jon on the sofa, watching kids TV for some of the time, and yelling and screaming any time anyone mentioned sleep, or resting, or snuggling down. He felt a trifle hot, so I dosed him with Ponstan, but that just seemed to chirp him up no end, dammit.

I lay in the bed (our room leads off the sitting room in this teeny tiny house) and tried to rest, but every time I dropped off into a fitful doze I was woken by shrieks. I remember waking from one very odd dream, where I was driving an amphibious spacecraft. It was a bit clunky, to be honest, but considering I had landed in water, I was glad to have it...

Anyway, Nicky woke Jamie up. So when Nicky finally fell asleep enough to be put into his bed, Jon had to go into the horrendously uncomfortable single bed with Jamie. Then Nicky woke up again, and had to go in with me. And he lies sideways and kicks, which makes sharing even a queensize bed a trial... Every time I tried to shift him, he woke up and yelled.

Then Jamie woke up for the day at 0430. Jon, bless him, kept his quiet so Nicky and I dozed on till 0530, but there was no holding them back after that. Thankfully Jon seems to have managed to get to sleep now, so I'll leave him as long as possible - thank heavens it's Sunday!

I did get sleep (albeit truncated and not terribly deep) so I should not be moaning, but but but... I feel like it. Sleep problems have been the hardest part to date about becoming a parent. Even though they do sleep through more than ever before now, there are nights where we are reminded of the sheer horror of learning that sleep is not the necessity it always seemed to be, but rather a luxury in an uncertain world.

In good news, I found a pair of sandals yesterday. I've been looking for some and these are just what I wanted. I'm terrible at shoe shopping, so to walk in, see a pair I liked and buy them was a big WIN for me. Yay!

More tea needed now.

1 comment:

Lori ann said...

Oh god that does bring back some unfond memories. Poor you. Well, the good news is this doesn't go on for ever, they eventually grow to sleep like cats and you will have to bang pans near their heads to wake them for school. Not really, but you will remember these days. And wonder if they are the same boys! haha!

I'm glad you found some sandels you like. Hey, if I can copy the shows, i'll send them to you okay?